domingo, 10 de mayo de 2009

Debates

Participating in a debate was something I always wanted to do.Finally I did. This new experience resulted very helpful and interesting to me and all my classmates. We became real researchers, looking for information on the web and different sources.

The first team that debated talked about "professionals teaching in the schools". In my opinion they did a great job. Both, in favor and against team, were well prepared and they used a lot of information about the topic. What I liked was the presentation of images with photographs or graphics and bibliographical sources. Even though I disagree with professional taking teachers place, the team who won was the one in favor of "professional teaching", because they had stronger and feasible arguments. In my opinion the other team was diffidence in terms of what they said at the end of the debate.

The second team, my team, also did a great job. But, as we know there was a confusion with the favor and against topics and both teams talked about voluntary voting. Luckily, some classmates and the professor acted as if they were against "automatic registration" so that way we could continue our debate. I think we did a great search, we had a lot of information and statistics, but what was against us was the fact we never expect having the same position. Personally, I was very nervous. Obviously the team who won was us, in favor of voluntary voting.

I would like to say that this exercise of debating in class is very good to improve our english. Moreover, we had to search in order to enrich and strenght our arguments and counterarguments showing different opinions and points of view.

6 comentarios:

Bárbara Medina dijo...

I also think that debates were useful for all of us in order to speak English using good resources.
However, I do not agree when you say that your group won because I think that the information thet your used was not enough in order to support your ideas.
Take care!!

Mónica Soto Araya dijo...

I liked your comment and I also think that the most important thing beyond which the best team or debate was is that by these experiences we can realize how much we have improved studying this career. As a result, I hope we could enjoy more experiences like the English debate in the future.

C Hickerson dijo...

I'm glad you liked debating. I know your team did a lot of research, but aside from a statistic I heard from you, I feel that you did not present your research adequately. Why didn't you all cite more sources?

a correction:

Both the* in favor and against teams* were well-prepared* and * used a lot of information *to support their* topics*.

nicole dijo...

I agree with you about debating in our class is a very good way to improve our english, specially speaking.
Also, as we all know, the second group had some problems and mmaybe because of that we caouldn't express as we wanted to. However, I agrre with you again and I think in the first debate, the winner was the group in favour of proffessionales in teachers' role because they had stronger arguments. In the second debate about voluntary voting, the winner was the group in favor because they had more information about it eventhogh they did not have enough time to express, at least, as the first group.

girl_on_scaffold dijo...

I am correcting Karen's entry!

girl_on_scaffold dijo...

Participating in a debate was something I always wanted to do.*P Finally I did. This new experience resulted very helpful and interesting to me and all my classmates. *P We became real researchers, looking for information on the web and different sources.

*WW The first team that debated talked about "professionals teaching in the schools". *P In my opinion they did a great job. Both, in favor and against team, were well prepared and they used a lot of information about the topic. What I liked was the presentation of images with photographs or graphics and bibliographical sources.*P SS Even though I disagree with professional taking teachers place, the team who won was the one in favor of "professional teaching", because they had stronger and feasible arguments. *P In my opinion the other team was diffidence in terms of what they said at the end of the debate.

The second team, my team, also did a great job. But, as we know there was a confusion with the favor and against topics and both teams talked about voluntary voting. Luckily, some classmates and the professor acted as if they were against "automatic registration" so that way we could continue our debate. *WW P SS I think we did a great search, we had a lot of information and statistics, but what was against us was the fact we never expect having the same position. Personally, I was very nervous. Obviously the team who won was us, in favor of voluntary voting.

I would like to say that this exercise of debating in class is very good to improve our english. *WW Moreover, we had to search in order to enrich and strenght our arguments and counterarguments showing different opinions and points of view.